Sharks in South Africa
Shark diving in Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks is an incredible experience for any diving enthusiast. These two locations are known for their diverse marine life, including a variety of shark species such as ragged-tooth sharks, oceanic black tip sharks, bull sharks, guitar sharks, white tip reef sharks, hammerhead sharks, and tiger sharks. Not only will you have the opportunity to observe these majestic creatures up close, but you'll also have the chance to photograph them in their natural habitat. An underwater photography workshop with me in March would be the perfect opportunity to hone your skills and capture stunning images of these incredible animals. Plus, with my expert guidance and tips, you'll be able to take your photography to the next level and capture unique and breathtaking shots. Overall, shark diving in Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks is an unforgettable experience that you won't want to miss, and an underwater photography workshop with me is the perfect way to make the most of it.
Day 1 : Arrive at King Shaka International Airport (Durban) & Transfer to Blue Ocean Dive Resort (Umkomaas) + Evening briefing and getting our camera rig ready.
Day 2 : 1 x Baited Shark Dive (Oceanic Black Tip Sharks) & 1 x Reef Dive (Aliwal Shoal) + Evening group editing and image reviews
Day 3 : 2 x Reef Dives (Aliwal Shoal) + Evening group editing and image reviews.
Day 4 : 2 x Baited Tiger Shark Dive + Evening group editing and image reviews
Day 5 : 1 x Baited Shark Dive (Oceanic Black Tip Sharks) & 1 x Reef Dive (Aliwal Shoal) + Evening group editing and image reviews
Day 6 : 2 x Baited Shark Dive (Oceanic Black Tip Sharks /Bull sharks / Tigers ) (Protea banks) + Evening group editing and image reviews
Day 7 : 2 x Reef Dives (Aliwal Shoal) + Evening group editing, image reviews and friendly image competition.
Day 8 : Transfer back to King Shaka International Airport (Durban) or to your Big 5 Safari (Optional Extra)
- A minimum of 12 dives (weather and conditions allowing)
- Maximum groups size of 7 divers
- French and English-speaking tour leader
- Daily evening debrief, for group editing and image review sessions.
- Additional Reef dives at no extra cost should weather conditions allow
- All transfers.
- 7 Nights Accommodation – Blue Ocean Dive Resort, Aliwal Shoal
- 6 Baited Shark Dives (No cages, no feeding) – Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks
- All Reef and shark Dives (as per itinerary)
- Nitrox Fills (For EANX certified)
- Cylinder Hire
- Weight Hire
- Daily Breakfast
- MPA Permits (Aliwal Shoal is a Marine Protected Area)
What to bring :
- Your underwater camera (Ideally a DSLR or a mirrorless camera in a housing, but a compact camera or a GoPro can work too)
- Your underwater strobes and video lights if you have (Almost mandatory with a compact camera or a GoPro)
- A PC/Mac laptop or a tablet to review and edit your pictures.
- Your dive gear with a 5mm wetsuit, 7 mm if you easily get cold (Gear Hire available from the operator, but they only have 5 mm wetsuits)
- A small dry bag to bring snack and personal items on the boat.
- Backup camera housing O-rings and fiber optic cable for your strobes.
- Motion sickness medications if you need it (the sea conditions can be a bit rough)
- A wool cap or some wind protections for your ears on the boat.
- A South Africa plug adapter (You can probably buy one at Durban airport after landing)
Package Does Not Include:
- Return flights to Durban (South Africa)
- Airport Taxes
- Personal/Dive/Travel Insurance
- Gear Hire (available from the operator)
- Underwater camera
- Tips / Gratuities (optional, but greatly appreciated by the crew)
2024 Package Prices :
Package 1 : March 10th to March 17th 2024 : €2699 5 spots left
Package 2 :March 17th to March 24th 2024 : €2699 7 spots left
Package 3 :March 17th to March 24th 2024 + Safari in an amazing Big five private game lodges from March 24th until March 28th : €3999 (Sharing, single occupancy is €4499) 7 spot left
Big five safari at Mavela Game lodge
Day 1 : Arrival at Mavela game lodge, check-in, lunch, afternoon game drive and dinner.
Day 2 : Morning game drive, breakfast, free time, lunch, group editing and image reviews, afternoon game drive, dinner and a night drive.
Day 3 : Morning walking safari, breakfast, free time, lunch, group editing and image reviews, afternoon game drive and dinner.
Day 4 : Morning game drive, breakfast, free time, lunch, group editing and image reviews, afternoon game drive and dinner.
Day 5 : Morning game drive, breakfast, check out and transfer to Durban airport.